5 Seconds of Summer, or 5SOS as I’ll affectionately refer to them as, have had a kick ass year. These 4 dudes from Australia – Calum, Luke, Michael and Ashton – haven’t been a band for long but they’ve already had the opportunity to experience SO many cool things in their career – and a lot of those things happened in 2013.
Without further ado, here are the top 5 reasons 2013 rocked for 5SOS:
- They toured with One Direction. Beginning in Feburary 2013, 5SOS embarked as the opening act of 1D’s worldwide Take Me Home Tour. Not bad for a band who only started touring in early 2012, right? Before being selected by 1D to accompany them, 5SOS had never even toured in the United States before. The TMH Tour afforded 5SOS with a ton of exposure to new audiences, but it’s due to the bands continuous communication with fans over Twitter that has made their popularity steadily rise.
- They played a sold out headlining tour in Australia. During a break in the TMH Tour in June, the boys went on a short headlining tour in their home country called the Pants Down Tour. 5SOS have had no problem filling Aussie shows in the past, but every single date of the Pants Down Tour sold out in a matter of minutes. Impressive, huh?
- They collaborated with some pretty awesome musicians and producers. As 2013 moved along, it just kept getting sweeter and sweeter for 5SOS. In August, the 5SOS boys fulfilled a dream of theirs when they collaborated with Alex Gaskarth of All Time Low and Mark Feldmann for their debut album. They also got creative with RAS (he’s worked with Big Time Rush and The Wanted), as well as the Madden brothers and Martin of Boys Like Girls. I’m most excited about the songs they created with Alex and John, but each collaborations should make for one successful album.
- They got signed to a record label. Really, what else beats having your efforts validated? In November, 5SOS got a taste of validation when they signed to Capitol Records. The boys had been independent in all their earlier endeavors, but I think Capitol will give their debut album the push it deserves.
- They celebrated their 2nd birthday. When I said 5SOS haven’t been a band for long, I wasn’t kidding. On December 3rd of this year, the band took to the web to celebrate two years together as a band. They posted personal videos on YouTube about their first impressions of each band member – Ashton, Calum, Luke and Michael. And while they had some technical difficulties, the band also invited fans to a Google Hangout to share their birthday with them proving once again that they love to connect with their fans.
With such a sweet 2013, I can’t wait to see what 5 Seconds of Summer can do in the new year! I so look forward to watching them grow.