What I love about the TCA’s is that celebrities feel free to wear just about whatever they want to the awards. They can throw on anything from a flannel and a baseball cap (I’m lookin’ at you, Ashton Kutcher) to strappy heels and a patterned mini dress (Janel Parrish looked so cute in that white butterfly print!) to even something as daring as a wet suit… (yes, Rebel Wilson, that’s you).
Besides that whole wet suit ordeal, there were quite a few fantastic fashion choices that I can confidently call my favorites:
- Nina Dobrev. Her splatter paint printed pant suit is SO fun. That flirty high pony tail and tie in the back of her shirt make the outfit even more interesting, and those tuxedo style pants give the entire look a little extra oomph.
- Bella Thorne. I’m really in love with this silhouetted palm tree print Bella wore. Her swingy skater skirt is flared just right, and the all black long sleeves make it more age appropriate for her. Lily Collins wore the same print in a different style but I think Bella’s look as a whole – curls, simple makeup, basic shoes – works much better.
- Kerry Washington. Her mini dress is so lively and quirky – how fun are the bejeweled lips, matchsticks, and hearts?! Those embellishments serve as her accessories so she doesn’t really need bracelets or a necklace, and the red lips on her dress make her own stand out. This is the perfect look for an award show like the TCAs, and my absolute favorite of the night!
- Janel Parrish. Like I said earlier, Janel looked so adorable in this dress. White is just the right color for a summer event, and her chunky, strappy heels remind me a bit of the Spice Girls back in the day. Anyone else?!
- Shay Mitchell. This PLL star went in a completely different direction than Janel by opting for a pantsuit (like Nina!) with a plunging neckline. Her smoky eyes and long waves make for a sultry look, while those metallic heels jump out and draw your eyes down through her entire look.
- Troian Bellisario. Troian is known for choosing simple colors for award shows and events, and the TCA’s were no exception. With white lace and satin her look is very sophisticated, but the aqua trim around the neckline gives it a very fun and summery flair.
- Niall Horan. Jeans and sneakers are Niall’s go to for almost everything, but he makes the style blue carpet appropriate by throwing on a brown jacket over his plain white tee and pairing it brown with Ray Bans. Sometimes simple is better!
- Nick Jonas. This Jo Bro’s color palette was simple as well. I love black and white horizontal stripes (and by love I mean that I’m obsessed with them) and Nick does them justice in a classic black leather jacket, dark denim and black boots. He too proves that less is more!
Obviously some other talk-worthy things happened at the TCAs besides just the amazing fashions! Lets do a quick round up, shall we?
- The “It Can Wait” pledge. Hosts Lucy Hale and Darren Criss urged the live and home audiences to tweet the hashtag #itcanwait to pledge to stop texting while driving.
- Demi Lovato flawlessly performed her single “Made in the USA” featuring her well dressed pal Nick Jonas on drums.
- Lea Michele made a heartfelt and very emotional tribute to her late boyfriend Cory Monteith when accepting her award for Choice TV Actress.
- Harry Styles twerking. Just click the link. You know you wanna.
- Ashton Kutcher gave some advice while accepting his Ultimate Choice award. He proved (as if there was any doubt) that he’s a very intelligent guy – and like he said, “The sexiest thing in the entire world is being really smart.”
- Paramore. Hayley, Jeremy and Taylor looked like they were having a blast performing “Still Into You” for the room full of celebs and fans; they were incredibly gracious when accepting their TCA for Choice Rock Band (their 4th time winning the award!).
The entire award show was super fun to watch, and so many deserving, hard working entertainers received the recognition that they clearly deserved. Speaking of recognition, I’d also like to give props to Lucy Hale and Darren Criss who did a bang up job of hosting the chaotic award show, and looked good while doing it!
What was your favorite part of the Teen Choice Awards?! Comment and let me know!